Tuesday, December 22, 2009

TMI Tuesday

TMI Thursday

I'm going to do my first take of TMI Thursday and since I will be out of town Thursday I decided to go ahead and make it a TMI Tuesday. So I have a little story to tell you. Last Friday Steve and I met up with some people from his school for dinner. We went out for Korean food. Let me tell you, we love Korean food...well truth be told we just love food. We are foodies to the core.

Anyway, for those of you who've never had Korean food let me explain the experience to you. We sat at a table with a barbecue in the middle so we could cook our food right there at the table. So, basically they bring you a big plate of marinated meat and you cook it and eat it right off the grill. Yum! Then you have rice and lettuce which you can use to make little lettuce tacos and a bunch of little Korean side dishes. The most commonly known dish is Kimchee which is basically a spicy cabbage. Mostly it's a lot of spicy and pickled vegetables, so the side dishes are pretty healthy (although, I'm sure they pack quite a bit of sodium). There's this pickled cucumber, which I guess should taste like pickles, but they're different. And there's also this seaweed dish that I really like.

Anyway, the point is there are a bunch of these little veggie side dishes, a big plate of seasoned beef and white rice. Now, I've been tracking calories and not eating as much as I used to for a while now, but at dinner I just went with it and decided to enjoy myself. We're all done eating and the bills come and we've given them our cards and I start getting some small stomach pains. Now, I'm lactose intolerant and two of the main symptoms are stomach cramps and diarrhea. So I've had my fair share of stomach pains in my life and have learned how to tolerate it. However, I had no cheese or milk or anything of the sort with this meal, so I knew it wasn't lactose related but nevertheless the stomach cramps are starting.

We're done paying, so we all bundle up to leave and I'm relieved cause we can just get on the road and I'll be home before I know it. Steve unlocks my door and then starts to walk over to the driver's seat and everyone starts talking by our car. So I just stand by my door and try to engage in the conversation, but inside I'm thinking "Hurry it up already!". Finally, everyone leaves and Steve gets in the car. I immediately inform him that my stomach hurts and we need to get home asap. The only problem is we're on the complete opposite side of town and have a bit of a drive ahead of us to get home.

We get on the freeway and Steve's trying to drive as fast as he can and I keep telling him to slow down a little for fear he might get a ticket and then I'll be stuck waiting through that. He's says he's just trying to get me home and I know and I appreciate it. My god at this point I feel like I'm going to die. I swear to god, the pain I felt had to be akin to contractions. I unbutton my pants hoping that will help lessen some of the pin. Steve starts telling me to take deep breaths and is coaching me as if I were in fact going into labor, instead of the truth of the matter, that I just need a toilet and fast!

I'm starting to feel nauseous and we're still not home. I see out of the corner of my eye that Steve keeps looking me, so I yell at him "Stop looking at me!". And he says "Sorry I just want to make sure you're ok." I say I'm fine, just stop looking at me and focus on driving. Every time I get a bad pain I'm grabbing onto the "Oh Shit" bar. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's the handle over the door that you grab onto and say "Oh Shit" when someone slams on the breaks or takes a turn too fast. Anyway, I'm grabbing onto the bar, closing my eyes and just willing this wave of pain to pass.

If it didn't hurt so damn bad I swear I'd find it hilarious, but oh my god I felt like I was going to split in two. We're getting close and the pain is as bad as ever. I tell Steve I don't have my keys, so as soon as he pulls into the garage he needs to hand over the keys so I can let myself in. I swear to god, it was like a relay race. He pulls in, immediately hands me the keys, I'm holding up my pants (since I had unzipped them), I race to the door, unlock it, run in, see the puppies think for a split second that I need to let them out since they've been in the house for a while and need to go outside, but I can't wait any longer, I rush to the bathroom and the rest, as they say, is history.

So there you go. There's my TMI moment I hope you enjoyed it and yeah, this isn't the first time this has happened. Steve has had to rush to get me home on a number of occasions...you'd think I'd learn. He must really love me if he's willing to help me through moments like this.

3 comments:

  1. Good work on your first installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Love it! I don't think I'm doing one this week myself, but I'll be sure to include this in the Thursday round up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds EXACTLY like something that happened to me. I was with my best friend for dinner, and it quickly became a bathroom emergency. She was driving and I was panicking. Had my pants undone and my keys ready to go!

    ReplyDelete