Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Outback and The Shred

Last night after work we had to take two of our cats to the vet. To be honest our normal routine would be to get fast food on our way home since it would be getting a bit later and we wouldn't want to make dinner, basically because we're lazy. However, last night we decided we were going to go out to eat, but we wanted to go to a sit down place. We ended up deciding on Outback. It took a little hairpulling with Steve to pick a place. He just wanted us to figure it out once we were out and about and I said no, I'm sorry but that doesn't work for me. The majority of the restaurants near our house are chains and so I can easily access their nutrition info online. I told him that I'm serious about counting calories and getting my exercise in and all that and so that means if we go out to eat I need to sit down ahead of time and plan what I'm going to eat. So we needed to pick a place, so that I could figure out what I should eat before we leave the house.

We ended up picking Outback as I said, well really I picked it. And here's what I ate:
1/2 loaf of the Bushman's Honey Wheat Bread - 69 calories (without butter)
1/2 of the Regular Sized Seared Ahi Tuna - 216 calories
Classic Roasted Filet Wedge Salad - 562 calories
Total - 847 calories

I wasn't planning on eating any of the bread, but alas I ended up eating nearly half the loaf. Probably closer to a third, but I'd rather overcompensate than under. I love seared Ahi, so I went for that as an appetizer especially since it's a pretty low cal appetizer. They do have a seared Ahi salad which I really like, but for some reason the nutrition info wasn't on their website. Instead I went for the Roasted Filet Wedge Salad that I also really like. Let me just say, it's awesome. First of all the meat is like 4 thin slices of prime rib, so you get your beef fix but there's not too much of it. Then it's a basic wedge salad with a hunk of iceberg with red onions and cherry tomatoes drizzled in blue cheese dressing with blue cheese crumbles. Let me just say YUM!!

My entire days calories came in at 1,370 so I was still well within my daily calorie goal. Obviously I had had a pretty light day up until that point. It wasn't planned, but I'm glad it worked out that way. I had had coffee with cream, oatmeal and a frozen lean cuisine meal and that's it. I'll remind you that recently I went out to eat at Olive Garden and my meal was over 1400 calories, I believe. That's more than I had in the entire day yesterday! Talk about a much better eating out experience. I actually got to enjoy my food and didn't have to feel guilty about it, because I knew I wasn't going overboard calorie wise. It was a little on the high side fat wise, but overall I'm happy with how the day went.

I also came home, even after eating that big salad, and did the shred as well as my 10 miles cycling. It just feels good to know you're making healthy choices and still allowing yourself to enjoy food and enjoy life as a whole. I'm starting to get better at the moves on The Shred dvd, so that's good. It feels good to see myself making progress so quickly. I've still got a ways to go before I even think about moving on to Level 2, but for now things are going well. Here are some pics I had Steve take of me last night after doing the Shred and cycling. I had taken pictures previously, but I was only wearing a sports bra and shorts and I'm just not brave enough to post those pics so here you go.


I also wanted to ask for some advice. We're planning on going out for sushi with some friends Saturday night. Any suggestions on what to eat? I don't actually do the raw sashimi, although I'll see if they have seared ahi since that's as raw as I'll go. Anyway, any suggestions? We usually end up ordering a few of the rolls but they're mostly the hot rolls that end up having tempura crumbles or that spicy mayo sauce or whatever. I'll do a little research to see what I should go for, but I'd love any suggestions anyone might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment