Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Where'd My Motivation Go????

I've been struggling lately on the motivation front...big time. I haven't worked out since last week Wednesday and I haven't been tracking calories. I had a friend coming to stay with me this weekend and I just.didn't.want to. Grrr. I know this isn't the right way to act and doing this is going to keep me from ever reaching my goal and that just isn't an option. I have a healthy dinner planned for tonight, so that's a step in the right direction and I'm going to work out tonight, no matter what.

Do you think I should just try and do the shred every day and cut out the cycling? Maybe then I could make myself stick to working out every day. Or am I just being a big fat baby and I need to suck it up and do both? I have the time, time is not my issue, motivation is. Any suggestions for what I can do to get my head back in the game? I really need some love right now.

I'm going to eat my healthy dinner, exercise tonight...and weigh in tomorrow. I need to see where I'm at instead of continuing to go along blindly. I hope I haven't done too much damage, but we shall see. I think I'll write up a meal plan for myself for tomorrow as well. That way I don't have to think about food I just have to eat what my plan tells me.

Honestly, it's been weird lately. The past few days we've had plenty of food in the house and I just stare in the pantry and the fridge/freezer and then walk away. Nothing sounds appealing. Or, even worse, I end up eating something even though it doesn't sound appealing and then I don't even enjoy it. I think I need to start throwing some new healthy recipes into my arsenal and maybe that will wake up the sleeping dragon.

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I've been struggling too. Last week I wasn't feeling well so I didn't work out even though I really really wanted to. I'm not against the idea of working out now, I definitely want to but my attitude is more of a hohum approach and I want to feel excited about it. I know I always feel better thinking about one thing that I'm super grateful for every morning. And my daily email check in with my accountabilibuddy is wonderful. I think I'm just riding the wave and it's receding right now. Hang on tight because it's building. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I need an accountabilibuddy too. It probably helps motivate you to have someone specific you have to report to each morning about how you're doing. Is it a friend of yours or someone you met in the blog world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is a friend in real life. It's hard to find someone motivated enough and focused enough and in the right head space. I've been through several people as accountabilibuddies. My hubby tried a couple times but he's just horrible at it. Then I had another friend that offered but she has since stopped talking to me altogether. I think she's embarrassed that she gave up and let me down. But the one I have now is also one of my workout buddies. I can't even begin to tell you how much it helps. It's a HUGE blessing to have someone that I'm totally honest with and totally vulnerable to. We support and encourage each other but we also challenge each other with what we're eating, how we're feeling, what we're doing to work out, as well as how we're living our lives. I believe, as does my accountabilibuddy, that losing weight isn't just about what you do but about how you feel. If your head isn't screwed on straight, nothing you do will be enough to facilitate lasting change. She's a great daily reminder of that for me as I am for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that a big part of losing weight is all about what's going on inside your head. Which is the main reason I slacked off for nearly a week. I didn't have anyone helping to hold me accountable and my head was not in the game. I have plenty of people in my life that I'd like to do this with, but unfortunately no one that wants to focus on this right now.

    My boyfriend outright told me he just doesn't want to work out right now (and then he complains about being overweight, go figure). My best friend is a size 4 or 6 trying to drop like 5 pounds for her wedding in June (not really the right kind of buddy for what I need to do). Another one of my best friends is probably very close to me in weight and I know she struggles with wanting to lose weight too, but she's worse than I am when it comes to falling off the wagon so I feel like I'm not sure I could depend on her for this. Maybe I should ask her anyway. She's the only person I can think of who might possibly be interested in this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to make anyone/everyone fit into the role and they just kept dropping like flies. I told you about hubby and the other friend. Then there was the one I got in the land of blogz. She was not doing anything she said and I called her out on it. She disappeared. A work buddy has said she wanted to work out together and keep eachother accountable but has turned me down every time I ask her to work out together. She'd rather go the bar and drink and eat french fries. Not my scene. Then there's another good friend that comes and goes but is by no means dedicated to daily success. So that would total 5 accountabilibuddies I've had or almost had and 4 of them lost. I have to tell you that for me....losing them was VERY stressful. If you can't count on them to be just as strong if not stronger than you, it's difficult. I might even say it's harder than trying to do it alone, especially when you're in a rough patch and struggling emotionally and/or to get your butt off the couch and to the gym.

    I can't be a workout buddy for you because I live on the other side of the country but I'd be willing to be an accountabilibuddy if you want. I'm going strong and in no mind to slack or give up in this lifetime. If you want, go ahead and email me and we can chat about it there.

    ReplyDelete