Monday, February 1, 2010

Month In Review

For the month of January I set some goals for myself, which I will tell you now that I did not meet. My goals were to cycle 180 miles and do the shred 18 times. What I ended up doing was 105.5 miles and I did the shred 10 times. The main reason I didn't reach my goals is because the first week of the month I really didn't exercise at all. I could have bumped up my exercise for the rest of the month to meet my goals, but that would have meant basically exercising every day and doing more miles on my bike each day. I didn't want to burn myself out, so instead I stuck to the daily goals I had planned for my work out days. Throughout the 3 weeks that I did work out I averaged approximately 4 hours a week and I burned around 2,400 calories a week through exercise alone. While that wasn't what was planned to reach my goal, it's still a decent weekly calorie burn.

This month I'll set my goals slightly lower, but still higher than what I accomplished this past month. I'll shoot for 150 miles and doing the shred 15 times. That's working out roughly 4 times a week, but I'll shoot for 4-5 times each week.

There was one other topic I wanted to discuss. Steve and I got into a discussion last night about snacking. We both have sweet tooths, so when we went grocery shopping I chose to pick up some cookies. Not chips ahoy or anything like that, but good bakery cookies that had nutritional info on them. He didn't say anything at the time, but later on argued that we don't need those and I can make healthier choices with my snacks. At the root of it, he's right, but I asked him if he planned to go his entire life without having another cookie to which, of course, he said no. I told him the whole point of my new "diet" is to make changes that are sustainable. To allow myself a cookie here and there as long as I work it into my daily calories limits. I don't want a "diet" where I get rid of every single thing I enjoy eating that may not be the healthiest option for me, because I know I wouldn't be able to stick to that.

I want to make changes that I can sustain for the rest of my life, not just until I reach a certain weight. I'm starting to look at food differently and to savor the things I really enjoy being it a little cheese or a cookie. Before I would have enjoyed it, but I would basically inhale multiple cookies and not get nearly as much satisfaction as I'm learning to get by savoring what I'm eating.

I think the bigger problem is willpower. I'm learning to have the willpower to stop after just one cookie and he hasn't learned that yet. He sees the cookies and probably eats 3 or 4, whereas I stop at just one. He doesn't say that that's the reason for him not wanting me to buy cookies, but I think it has more to do with him than me.

I know I do need to come up with healthier options, because I don't plan to eat a cookie every single day, but just once in a while as a treat. So on other days I need to have strawberries with a little whipped cream or heat up an apple and drizzle on a little honey. Choices like that are obviously healthier and are choices I need to make on a regular basis, but the occasional cookie isn't going to kill me as long as I have the willpower to stick to just one cookie.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the snacking issue! If I was on a diet where I couldn't have a sweet or a cup of pasta every once in a while... aka, nothing to look forward to... I would fail miserably. I'd rather lose 1-2 lbs a week without completely depriving myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it! It's just no way to live if you feel deprived. For some people they choose to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time and that becomes their new lifestyle. But I know myself and I am a foodie to the core, so deprivation would never work for me be it short or long term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. Fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth, but I could eat French fries alllllllll day. So, if I get them, I make a concerted effort to eat the sandwich or whatever else first so that I only eat a few fries. It's hard, but worth it when I don't feel so gross after!

    ReplyDelete