Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day and such

I hope everyone had a wonderful valentine's day. I know we did. We celebrated on Saturday and started the day off bright and early. Steve had to go in to work for a couple of hours, so I volunteered to tag along and keep him company. We had planned to get coffee at this place where he always talks about this yummy coffee drink and when we show up...they're closed. Stupid on campus coffee shop. So we headed over to the hospital cafeteria and just got a normal cup of coffee and there may or may not have been a donut to go along with said coffee.

Then we went to his lab and we set up his laptop so I could putz around while he did his work. About half an hour in he informs me he wants help with something (which I'm used to doing when I go with him into the lab), so he put me to work labeling some tubes he was working with. Then he got down to business and I spent my time being the dork that I am reading financial articles.

Although, I found this really interesting website that has some great general financial advice that anyone could easily understand called Building a Brighter Future. And I found another website that has an online college savings calculator for saving money for your kids for college. Now granted we don't have kids yet (we're not even married), but kids are without a doubt in our future so I'd rather be thinking of this now rather wait until the kids are in high school and scramble to figure out what to do. I don't intend to fully pay for my college (unless we suddenly are making a ton of money and have the means to), but I would like to be able to at least help. I had a productive day of getting some solid financial goals in my head to lay the framework for the next 5 to 10 years. Anyway, this is sooo off topic.

We left the lab and went home to chill for a bit and got ready for dinner. We went to this seafood restaurant that's just a few miles from our house and it's on a lake, so it has a great view. Although, said lake was frozen and covered in snow, but it was still beautiful. They have outdoor seating, so we definitely plan on going back when the weather's warmer to sit outside and look out on the lake. Here's what we ate. We started out with crab stuffed mushrooms and chilled oysters on the half shell. Let me just say YUM!! The oysters were way bigger than we had ever anticipated. It was a great way to start the meal. Then we each got a small side salad. Then came our meals. I got a lobster tail and it came with mashed potatoes and veggies. Steve was in love with my mashed potatoes. Steve got filet mignon medallions and blackened shrimp with rice and veggies. His food came with these yummy spicy sauces. Finally for dessert we shared an espresso flavored creme brulee and a glass of champagne. Everything was wonderful and we left very full and happy. It wasn't the healthiest of meals, but for special occasions I tend to just let myself enjoy the experience and not be overly concerned with making perfect choices.

Yesterday was a lazy day. Steve has come down with my cold :-( I feel bad. Since he's in grad school it's not like he can take any time off. So he spent yesterday sleeping, which was good. And I just chilled with the puppies. Then this morning I woke up and went downstairs to let the puppies outside. Normally they sleep in our room, but last night they were keeping Steve up so I put them downstairs. All I have to say is holy poop and pee. Thank god we don't have any carpet downstairs. There were three puddles of pee and too piles of poop. Awesome.

I finally finish cleaning all that crap up (literally) and start making myself breakfast. I make myself some oatmeal, fill up my water bottle and head up to the office to start my day. I take my vitamins and am eating my oatmeal and I start to feel nauseous. I have two bites left, so I eat my two bites and drink some water hoping that will help. I know you have to take vitamins with food otherwise nausea is a side affect. I'm still feeling nauseous, so I literally run downstairs to try and get a granola bar in my mouth but it's too late. I run to the bathroom and puke up my oatmeal and water. What a way to start the day. I feel fine, so I know it has nothing to do with being sick and is just because of the vitamins. I guess maybe I should start taking them with lunch when I eat a bit more.

Anyway, back to the grind of work and counting calories and exercise. I hope you all had an eventful valentine's day!

6 comments:

  1. I hate throwing up :(

    I always take my vitamins at night, and haven't had much trouble. Off topic, but what vitamins are you taking?

    p.s. glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking a number of vitamins. I have chewable Calcium, Vitamin D and Vitamin C vitamins. And then I take a One a Day Women's multivitamin. And a Vitamin A vitamin. The multi and Vitamin A were the one's I had this morning that made me sick. My boyfriend thinks it's because I took the vitamins and then ate. He thinks I should have eaten first and then taken the vitamines. Oy vey, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird. I've never heard of nausea from vitamins. I take Vitamin D every day and that has to be taken with fat since it's fat soluble but I've never gotten nauseated from not. I'm sorry. I hate that feeling.

    Hope you're feeling better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very susceptible to getting nauseous from vitamins. Usually it's when I get sidetracked and haven't eaten much breakfast and a few bites takes care of it, but not this time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always gotten sick if taking vitamins without food. Now I make sure to take them only after eating breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think that was my mistake, taking it before versus after breakfast. This morning I took it after eating half my breakfast and no problem. I should just eat my whole breakfast and take it and I should be fine.

    ReplyDelete