Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend Free For All?

I had meant to post this subject on Friday as it's an issue I've been thinking about, but then I didn't have the time. I have an issue with my eating on the weekends. I don't really have a free for all as my title suggests, but I do end up forgetting to track my calories and letting myself be a bit more lax on my eating choices. Apparently there are others that also have this issue. I get coffee out, I get food from the grocery store's deli, I have little snacks I wouldn't normally have. In the past I've said that I let myself go a little on the weekends, so that it's easier for me to stay on point during the week. However, I'm starting to see that as just a big fat excuse and a hindrance to my overall progress. During the week I take two steps forward and on the weekend I take one step back. Is that little bit of extra food really worth impeding my progress? I don't think so any more.

Let me give you an example of what I ate Saturday. I sat down last night and tried to recall everything and here's what I ate:
- One Starbucks Tall Soy Caramel Macchiato 170 cals
- Half of a large butter croissant 136 cals
- Subway 12 inch Spicy Italian on wheat, no cheese, with light mayo, oil and vinegar and lots of veggies 1,130 cals
- Popcorn Chicken (from deli not fast food restaurant) 337 cals
- Honey mustard sauce 100 cals
- Seafood salad 174 cals
- Crackers 90 cals
- 2 slices 45 calorie whole wheat bread 90 cals
- all natural peanut butter 285 cals
- honey 64 cals
Total: 2,576 calories

Obviously my two big killers that day were eating a 12 inch sub instead of just opting for the 6 inch and using twice as much peanut butter as necessary. If I would just cut those two things in half my daily calories would have been 1,869 which would have been a much better number even for a high calorie day. The stupid appeal of those $5 foot long subs!

My main issue with weekends I think is lack of planning. I don't think ahead to what meals I could make. If I made a fun meal plan ahead of time where I made some sort of Chinese food dish or something, then I think I'd be less likely to go a little buck wild. Also, I need to make sure I track my calories throughout the day. If I knew I was at 2,137 calories for the day before I made that peanut butter toast I probably wouldn't have eaten it. I wasn't really hungry I just wanted something sweet.

Bottom line I need to start planning ahead for our weekend meals and I need to start holding myself accountable for my food decisions on the weekends. I tracked my calories this weekend and Friday I had a 448 calorie deficit, Saturday I had a 553 calorie surplus and Sunday I had a 2,129 calorie deficit (hello cycling!).

I wanted to mention some of the good choices I made this weekend. Friday I had a good friend and her boyfriend stopping by since they were going to be driving through town to go elsewhere. I was trying to think of what to eat when they were here and decided to order pizza. I went online to Domino's website and they can tell you how many calories per slice based on the toppings and type of crust. I got one medium hand tossed pizza light cheese with chicken and tomatoes. One slice was just 165 calories! Then I got another medium pizza, light cheese with pepperoni on one half (for my guests in case they're pepperoni lovers) and onion and mushroom on the other half. I don't remember how many calories were in the pepperoni since I didn't eat any, but the mushroom and onion were just 155 calories. The funny thing is everyone seemed to go straight for the chicken and barely even went for the pepperoni.

The other good choice was my workout last night. After my crazy eating on Saturday I really wanted to make up for it on Sunday. I only ended up eating 1,019 calories that day. Then for exercise I did 20 miles on my bike at an average of 16.3 miles per hour (my second fastest speed thus far). Then after that I did the shred. Just from exercise I burned 1,265 calories. That's awesome!

My plan for the rest of the week is as follows. Monday through Wednesday consume between 1400 and 1500 calories. Cycle 20 miles and do the shred. Thursday consume between 1200 and 1300 calories and have a rest day since I weigh in Friday morning. That means by Friday I should have at least a 7,700 calorie deficit since my last weigh in which would mean I should lose at least 2 pounds.

For tonight my cycling goal is to get my best overall speed ever. My current high is 17.0, so I'm going to shoot for an average speed of 17.5 mph.

4 comments:

  1. I totally struggle with the weekends too. Not as much lately because I do a weekly meal plan ahead of time and make sure I have all my meals planned for the weekend but if I don't happen to have a plan, I blow it. My worst problem on the weekends though is not eating all my meals and not drinking enough water.

    Having a calorie load day isn't such a bad thing though. Once each week I tend to have a bit more calories than normal and it helps rev the metabolism. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm awful when it comes to planning meals ahead. That's definitely something I need to work on. I'm just too damn lazy! I always just throw something together at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I was too. And after planning meals for a couple months, it's very clear to me that the standing in front of the fridge is just deadly to my progress especially if I happen to be in a bad mood. Having meal plans and all the fixings ahead of time completely eliminates the "what do you want, I don't know, what do you want, I don't know, I don't want to cook, neither do I" scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree!! Sometimes when I make one bad choice, it leads to other bad choices, too. I've decided that I need to plan ahead as well. I also definitely do not drink enough water on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete