Monday, March 8, 2010

Good Food, Bad Food and Dance Cardio

I hope everyone else had a great weekend. Mine was awesome. It was just one of those stress free, go with the flow kind of weekends. Steve and I just hung out at home Friday and I cooked us a good healthy dinner. Slept in Saturday morning and then got up and did some stuff around the house. While Steve was picking up dog poop (the joy of being pet owners, lol) I decided to play with the puppies. I got this toy (totally forget what it's called) where it's the long handle with a little cup at the tip that holds a ball and you use the handle to fling the ball for dogs to fetch. Our dogs don't really fetch yet. They run after the ball and may pick it up and bring it like half way back to me, but more often than not I'm walking back and forth picking up the ball, flinging it, they chase it, I walk over to it, pick it up again and fling it again, etc. At least it gets me moving some more and it was so nice out that it was just a lot of fun. I'm loving the nice sunny weather. After that we bummed around a bit and did a little shopping, then went out to dinner. After dinner we went bowling with friends to burn off some of those calories. Then Sunday we went to a little drive in food place where they bring the food out to your car. It's just a little hole in the wall place, so that was fun. Then we did a little shopping and went home and took a nap. I woke up, hung out, exercised, showered and went to bed. It was just a very nice stress free weekend.

Dinner Friday night was really yummy. We both really enjoyed it. It was also pretty simple. It was grilled chicken with avocado corn salsa. The chicken was marinated in lime juice, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper for about 10 minutes and then I cooked it in a George Foreman grill. I made the salsa with frozen corn that I just popped in the microwave to cook. I put the bowl in the freezer to chill the corn a bit. Then I cut up some tomato and threw it in with the corn. I added some lime, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper and mixed it all up. Then I chopped up the avocado and tossed it in there and served it all up with the grilled chicken.



As I mentioned we went out to eat Saturday night. We went to this great restaurant called Barcelona Tapas. I assume everyone knows what tapas are, but in case you don't it's basically little appetizer sized portions. Instead of getting one big meal you get a bunch of smaller plates, so you get to try more things which is always fun. Then after that...we got dessert. Let me tell you it is by no means healthy, but it was insanely good. It's called Tres Leches cake,so for those of you who aren't familiar it's a cake soaked in 3 kinds of milk and this place served it with loads of whipped cream and caramel. Wow, was it good! Don't worry, we shared it, so it wasn't quite as bad as if I had had my own.



I've mentioned before that I'm looking to shake up my cardio routine a bit. My plan was to use the exercise videos available for free OnDemand. Well, let me tell you, the dance cardio selections are not so great. Most of them were like 8-12 mins, huh? I was trying to find one that was 45-60 minutes and the only one that was in that range was Urban Striptease. So I figured what the heck, I like dancing, I might as well try it. I stuck through the first half, but the music sucked (you could barely even hear it) and it just wasn't fun. I decided to try a different video for my second half and went for Disco Abs. It was only a 30 minute video, which is why I didn't choose it in the first place. It was done by Cheryl Burke from Dancing with the Stars and it was so much fun! I was literally smiling throughout the entire thing and boy was I sweating! I should have taken a sweaty pic, but I forgot. Oh well. Does anyone know of any other dancing cardio dvds that you really like? I'd like to pick up one or two to add to my exercise dvd library.

This morning I made a great breakfast. I don't know about you, but I've always loved McDonald's breakfast sandwiches. I haven't had one in quite some time, but I've always strived to find a healthy version of the breakfast sandwich. I decided to make my own this morning. I used Arnold's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins, 1/4 cup eggbeaters (that I cooked in the microwave in a nifty sandwich cooker thing that makes the eggs the perfect shape for a sandwich -- here's a link in case you want to get one), Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausages that I cut up to arrange on the sandwich and finally a slice of fat free cheddar cheese. The whole thing was just 280 calories.



So back to my earlier question. Anyone know of any fun cardio dance type dvds?

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I can't find your email from when you won the progresso soup giveaway on my blog. Can you email me your address? Jen@priorfatgirl.com

    ReplyDelete