Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Holy Strength Training Batman!

I had a great night last night for two reasons: dinner and my workout. Dinner was the bomb. I've been trying out a bunch of new weight watchers and hungry girl recipes since I have a bunch of cookbooks that I pretty much never use. I try to limit my recipes to ones that have relatively few ingredients and are very simple to make. I'm really renewing my passion for cooking which has been fun. Onto the food. I made a turkey taco meatloaf. Here's a pic:



It was pretty simple.

1. You preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. You chop up one onion and saute it with some nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a bowl you mix together 1/2 a cup of canned corn (I always pick the no sodium canned veggies when I can), 1 pound extra lean ground turkey, the sauteed onion and half a packet of taco seasoning.
4. You're supposed to use a bread pan to bake the dish, but my ground turkey was actually 19.2 ounces, so a bit over a pound, and I used the whole can of corn, so I used a square baking dish.
5. You spread half of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish.
6. Top with two slices of fat free cheddar cheese (although I used 4 since I had the square pan).
7. Spread on the remaining meat mixture.
8. Top that with half a cup of salsa (I used more like a cup).
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
10. Take dish out of the oven and top with 1/2 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese (I used a whole cup).
11. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Voila!

My suggestion, you may not need the shredded cheddar cheese on the top. Since it's fat free it ends up just being kind of a hard crust rather than melty cheese, so either use a low fat version or skip it altogether. I don't think it added any taste to the dish. The slices of cheese on the inside added plenty of cheesy goodness. My version with extra corn, turkey, salsa and cheese was 374 calories for 1/4 of the whole loaf. I had 1 1/2 pieces for a total of 561 calories, although, just one slice should have been plenty. It was just so damn good! Steve demolished the rest of it, so it's definitely a crowd pleaser.

After dinner I got on to my workout. I brought all of our hand weights and leg weights and weighted balls, etc. to our new workout room since I figured they'd get more use on my weight lifting days than any other time. I ended up doing a ton of different exercises: Ab Curl, Butterfly, Bench Press, Lat Pulldown, Leg Extension, Low Row (I have bands that accomplish this rather than messing with my weight machine), Adductor (or Thighmaster as it's more commonly known, tee hee), Hamstring Curl (with ankle weights), Bicep Curl (with free weights), Leg Lifts (with ankle weights to work on any saddle bags I may have) and finally Butt Lifts (with ankle weights -- I made up the name, it's when you're on all fours and you lift one foot up toward the ceiling to work the butt...hopefully that makes sense). Overall I kicked my ass! I was completely shaky after. The exercise I can lift the most weight on so far is 70 pounds on the bench press. I seriously worked every ounce of muscle I have, I swear! I managed to get a pic, but all were a bit blurry due to me being shaky. Happy Workout Everyone!

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing like when you kick your own ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woop tania! that strength training workout looks exhausting!! great work :)

    p.s. I'm probably going to make that turkey taco meatloaf tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it! You won't regret it. It is seriously yummy. Now what to make for dinner tonight...

    ReplyDelete