Thursday, March 25, 2010

My First "Whole" Meal

Last night I inadvertently made my first "whole" meal. I'm sure there have been some in the past, but this is the first since I've been contemplating making this change. Anyway, last night I had planned to make a recipe I found on Kepa's blog, or The Fat Lazy Guy's Log as he is otherwise know (I wasn't allowed to link to his blog for some reason), for Roasted Butternut Squash, Corn and Bacon Soup. He doesn't list an amount for each ingredient, so I'll list them out with the amounts I used.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Corn and Bacon Soup

- 1 butternut squash
- 1 bag of frozen corn with 4 half ears of corn (2 total)
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock
- 6 slices of ready made bacon (80 calories for 3 slices)
- 1 yellow onion (probably should have used half)
- 3/4 cup of chopped celery (probably should have used 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup of chopped carrots (probably should have used 1/2 cup)
- 4 Tbsp cream (could probably use less here too)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Slice the Butternut Squash in half, put it on a tray, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and brown sugar. Put it in the preheated oven for about 55 minutes.

2. After the squash is in the oven for about 25 minutes, throw in the corn and turn the oven down to 350 F (180 C) for 30 minutes. Or if you bought the frozen steam in bag kind like me you can hold off on microwaving the corn and just turn down the temp on the oven.

3. While that's baking fry up some bacon, take it out of the pan and set it aside. Even though I used ready made bacon I still did this with some Pam just to get some bacon flavor into the pan. I just chopped up the bacon, threw it into the pan, got it all good and heated up and then set it aside.

4. Using the fat from the bacon sweat off some onions, celery and carrots (soffritto) on a low-med heat until everything is really soft. Then blitz it in a food processor with a little chicken stock. Put that into a bowl and set aside.

5. Once squash is ready scoop out the squash, blitz it in the food processor with a little chicken stock. Put that into a bowl and set aside.

6. Microwave the corn if you bought frozen like me. Take the corn off the cob, blitz it in the food processor with a little stock. Put that into a bowl and set aside too.

7. Combine the Butternut Squash, Corn, Soffrito and some chicken stock. The squash should be the predominant element. Add stock until it has reached your desired thickness (I kept mine quite thick).

8. Add in some cream, the bacon, salt and pepper. Then serve it!

Makes 4 servings. 292 calories per serving. Here's the finished product.

Doesn't that look so good! It was really yummy. I actually just had a serving of the leftovers for lunch. YUM! Along with that I just made a simple salad with some romaine lettuce I chopped up, half an avocado and some light italian dressing. Overall it was a very tasty and satisfying meal.


I'm really looking forward to this whole foods thing. So far the past few days I've been having an orange with breakfast and even that small change has been really enjoyable. It's easy to forget how good fruits and veggies are if you don't eat them regularly. After last night's dinner and my oranges I'm definitely feeling good about this. And it makes me happy knowing that I'm making good choices. On top of this wonderful meal last night I also got in a good cycling session and I've been getting my 100 oz of water per day all week!

There's one final thing I wanted to talk about. I found this studio that offers adult fitness classes. Some of the classes they offer are: Kickboxing, Yoga, Pilates, Bootcamp and Zumba. That's right I said Zumba! I've been wanting to try this since I love dancing and now it looks like this is my opportunity. Plus the prices are really reasonable. You can get 10 classes for just $35. Not too shabby. Now that I think about it, though, if I'm going to pay for those classes maybe I should just get a gym membership? We have an LA Fitness really close to our house that is a possibility. I think I'll check it out to at least see what they have to offer and how much it would cost. Anyone else go to LA Fitness? How much do you pay a month?

3 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I might have to try it. I love love love whole foods too. I've been doing it for a while now and I just can't see any other way to eat anymore. Processed foods taste weird now. :)

    I go to LA Fitness. I love it. All the equipment you could possibly want plus tons of classes. Zumba, kickboxing, yoga, step'n'sculpt, weight training, aqua fit, etc. Plus there's a pool, sauna, hot tub, and racquetball courts at the one I go to. Love it all! I think it's like $29/mo for the most basic month to month. I prepaid for my membership. Pay for 2years in advance and you get a 3rd year severely discounted or free. I love that I did that because I don't have to worry about the monthly bill feeling like I'm getting raped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. $29 is not bad at all and I'd definitely consider the prepay thing if it saves enough. I made an appointment for Monday to check it out, so hopefully I'll like it and it'll be doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds good, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete