Thursday, May 20, 2010

Doctor's Visit Stats

I went to the doctor yesterday and found out some very interesting stats about myself. First off I'm 5' 8 1/2", not 5' 8". That extra 1/2 inch is silly, but it totally made my day. You see, when I was in high school I always thought I was 5' 9". Then I did this stupid modeling thing and they measured my height and insisted I was 5' 8". I was totally bummed, because at the time I was convinced I wanted to model (even though I was painfully shy) and that inch does make a difference in the modeling world. Obviously all this modeling crap means nothing now, but to find out that I'm just a smidge taller than I thought makes me smile. Plus, that means that my BMI is ever so slightly lower than I thought it was and that's always a good thing. It was 28.5, but that half an inch drops it to 28.0. Woo hoo, that means hopefully (assuming I have even just a miniscule loss) when I weigh in tomorrow I will be in the 27's. :-D

The next thing was my blood pressure. It's kind of a long story, but basically a year ago I was trying to get the depo birth control shot. My insurance had switched and my doctor was no longer covered under the new policy, so I was assigned a new doctor. I call the new doctor to make an appointment and they inform me they don't do depo shots in their office. I don't know why they didn't, but whatever. We were moving from San Diego to Indianapolis in less than a month and I wanted to get the shot before we moved so I figured I'd just go to Planned Parenthood.

First off there were people standing out front with some nasty protest pics...not what I was expecting, but I digress. I get in, watch the Wedding Singer in the waiting room and am fully relaxed. They finally call me and a nurse does my blood pressure. She acts kind of weird and then eventually gets the doctor who then does the blood pressure again. She then tells me that my blood pressure is high and that she can't give me the shot because of it. She tells me I should go to the emergency room right away and get on blood pressure meds to bring it down. She gives me a pamphlet on high blood pressure and sends me on my way. I'm completely freaked out and am looking over the pamphlet and seeing all the crazy things that could happen, such as having a stroke. The freak out gets worse. I call Steve and I'm just bawling. He tells me to relax and to just come home. I get home and I do a little research. We had plans that evening with his family, since we were about to move away from them halfway across the country (and Steve had never lived anywhere but CA) so I felt guilty about thinking about canceling. In the end, I didn't cancel and I didn't go to the doctor. I saw a story online about a guy with high blood pressure who refused to go on meds and instead just exercised and improved his eating habits, so I decided I could do that too. And in the mean time I'd keep an eye on any weird symptoms should they arise and I'd eat healthier. Whether this was right or wrong is irrelevant at this point as this was the decision I made at the time. I was completely unsure of it, but that's what I did.
Fast forward 4-6 months. I haven't lost any weight. I have moved across the country, moved into a temporary apartment, then moved again into the house we bought, unpacked, got puppies and mostly forgot about the high blood pressure scare. Finally in November, 6 months after the fact, is when I got my shit together and got serious. Now 6 months after I began and a year after the scare my blood pressure is a healthy 122/80. I believe that's pretty much exactly where I want it to be, so that's a huge relief to know that it is now normal.

Another thing is my resting heart rate. I've always felt like I had a high resting heart rate. I have a few female family members that have had heart issues. One even had a valve replacement at 27...that's how I old I am. Needless to say this blood pressure and heart rate business have concerned me considering my family history. My heart rate was 70 bpm which is completely normal as well. However, considering my family history my doctor is going to check my cholesterol just to make sure everything is as it should be. This is the last piece of this puzzle to make sure my heart is healthy, but so far so good.

One last thing that I'm really happy about is that I will be getting a mammogram. I'm sure those of you that are older and get them probably don't look forward to them, however, I have been requesting to get one the past few years and doctors have talked me out of it. My grandmother had breast cancer (she beat it) and it has made me a bit more cautious. Add on top of that that Steve's mom had breast cancer (she beat it too) as well and Steve's focus for his PhD work is breast cancer research. All of these things make breast cancer very near to my heart in terms of research, but also make me want to be cautious for myself. Finally this new doctor of mine agreed to order a mammogram for me. Now I just need to find out if my insurance company will cover it...

Those were the big things from the doctors appointment. There are 2 more items I wanted to mention...my goals!! I am 1.2 lbs away from having lost 20 lbs and 1.8 lbs from having lost 10% of my starting weight!! I'm hoping that either this week or next week I will have reached both of these goals. Fingers crossed. Tomorrow is my weigh in, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to tomorrow!! I haven't been to the doctor to get my levels checked in a loooong time. I think I should make an appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally go to the doctor! It was a definite boost, plus it's always good to know where you stand in general. I put it off for far too long.

    ReplyDelete