Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mmmmmm...breakfast

Good morning everyone! I had the most amazing breakfast this morning and it was inspired by another blogger. Caitlin over at Healthy Tipping Point has a really great blog. It's a must read for anyone trying to live a healthier life. I feel like her life is literally what we'd all aspire to have. She makes herself and her husband amazing meals and it's always consisting of fresh whole foods. On top of that she's a runner and a cyclist and seems to be exercising non-stop! Her lifestyle is definitely what I aspire to. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get there. I'm working on it.

Anyway, the reason I brought her up is because of my breakfast! She makes these things she calls oatmeal messes or yogurt messes or something like that. Basically she takes raw oatmeal, greek yogurt and then tosses in whatever else she feels like having that morning. The oatmeal doesn't get cooked, you just eat it raw and you mix it all together. Here's my first attempt at an oatmeal mess:


It contains:
1/2 cup raw oatmeal
1 container Dannon Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 banana (123g)
5 strawberries (88g)
slivered almonds (7g)

Nutrition info: 438 calories, 6.7g Fat, 9.75g Fiber

It was phenomenal! I really loved it. This definitely won't be the last time I enjoy this for breakfast. Other breakfasts I've tried of hers are a Grilled Banana Sandwich and Green Monster Smoothies (made with 2 cups spinach, 1 cup soy milk - she uses rice milk, 1 banana, 15 frozen cherries and 1/2 cup oatmeal if you want to give it some more substance or not if you just want a pick me up). None of her breakfasts so far have disappointed. They've all been very flavorful and filling. You can't beat that. I'm going to have to try some of her other recipes for sure. Now I just need to get as active as she is!

I'm leaving tonight to drive up to WI for the holiday weekend. I'm very excited! A little time with my best friend is just what the doctor ordered. I hope you all have a great 4th of July!

4 comments:

  1. That does look good. I do the yogurt and fruit but haven't thought of throwing raw oatmeal in it. I'll have to try now. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tania, I'm new to your blog and just wanted to say hi! I've gone back and read a bit, and must say your doing great, going through alot right now! I look forward to reading more and wish you all the best in your upcoming move :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogurt is so versatile. I often throw together my own yogurt mix using things like plain yogurt, nuts, berries, ground flax seed, and stevia.

    I hope you have a good weekend,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete