Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What a Difference a Good Trainer Makes

I had the best day yesterday. You would have thought that since it was Valentine's day it wouldn't have been all that great, but frankly I wasn't too concerned with it. The day before, though...was rough. But that's life, there are good days and bad days and yesterday thankfully was a great day. I had a great food day yesterday.

Also, I worked out with a new trainer. And let me tell you, that was the best decision ever! My previous trainer was a young guy. I could tell he hadn't been training for long even before he eventually told me himself. Our sessions were almost always geared around squats. We never did any ab work and we rarely did upper body. The last time I saw him I asked if we could do upper body/abs and he immediately said of course. Now don't get me wrong, he gave me a great upper body workout but again no ab work. Plus it bothered me that he wasn't very motivating. He never took my weight or body fat or anything and never even asked if I had been making any progress. We worked out 6 times and he knew my goal was to lose weight and we never even talked about it. So between that and the fact that I was basically only getting a lower body workout I decided it was time to try someone new. Let me rephrase that, I felt bad about switching trainers, but my friend made me realize I needed to stop putting up with a trainer that wasn't giving me what I wanted and switch and actually get my money's worth.

I ended up getting switched to a female trainer. She's the same age as me and has been training for 10 years. She actually listened to me when I told her what I needed help with and when I expressed my concerns about the previous trainer. She didn't think at all highly of him and that made me so glad I switched, because if his coworker thinks he does a crappy job then clearly it was the right thing to switch. She actually took my weight and body fat down so that we can track my progress. Then we got to the workout. It was HARD!! I was dripping sweat from every part of my body and she literally worked EVERY PART OF MY BODY. What a difference. Also, she just listened to me when I told her what I needed and something about her made me feel comfortable enough to tell her what it is I need. I told her that I need to be constantly reminded to keep my abs tight, because for whatever reason I just forget about my midsection when I could be using it to stabilize me as I do other exercises. Numerous times throughout the workout she was reminding me to keep my core tight and use my stomach and back muscles more, so like I said, she listened. Then there was the added bonus of working out with a female trainer, she understands issues that women have that men obviously don't...sports bras, need I say more? She says there's a certain sports bra she swears by and she's a marathon runner, so she's going to email me the brand/type so I can try it out. Love that! Also, when she stretched me out she really did a great job pushing me, so I got a great stretch with her. The last great thing she did, she emailed me a workout plan this morning. Four weeks worth of the cardio she wants me doing plus of course my training sessions with her. And she wants me to keep a food log and bring it to the next session. So yeah, she's light years ahead of the other guy and I am so glad I have 6 more sessions (3 weeks) with her. Another bonus, she used to live in CA too and she also has 2 dogs, so we have a few things in common which is nice.

On another note, I don't usually do mid-week weigh-ins, but I was feeling good this morning about how I've been doing and decided to just check my weight and I'm already down a pound since Friday! I'm very happy with that. I can't wait to see what my weight will be on Friday. I hit 30 lbs lost last month and it looks like I might actually hit 35 lbs lost this month. That means I'd have lost 5 pounds in one month versus the 5 months it took me to lose the previous 5 lbs...yeah I'm definitely doing much better now. As of my weight this morning I'm only 7 lbs away from having a healthy BMI! I can't wait to hit that goal. Anyway, things are going well for me now and I'm stoked to continue on this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment