Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Telling Tall Tales?

Wow it has been a loooooooonnnnng time since my last post. Honestly my weight has gone up the past 2 weeks and it's made me not want to blog. I feel like if I'm not losing weight that I don't have much to talk about. I hate feeling like I'm coming off like I'm just spinning crap to whoever reads this dang thing. I'm certainly not telling tall tales, but that's just what it feels like when there isn't tangible progress. I've really made an effort in a lot of different areas of my health. I'm venturing outside of my comfort zone in my diet. I actually made salmon! And I didn't hate it! Don't get me wrong I don't hate salmon or any fish for that matter, but whenever I've tried cooking fish at home it's always turned out...fishy. I was at Trader Joe's last week and they had salmon that was marinated in honey mustard (I think?), so all I had to do was pop it in the oven. It was decent, nothing spectacular but I was able to eat it and I didn't hate it. I didn't really love it either, though. Any good salmon recipes out there? I tend to prefer honey glazed or teriyaki type salmon dishes. I have teriyaki marinade so maybe some day I should just try marinating a piece of salmon in it and then baking it. Anyway, I made this for dinner last Tuesday and took a picture of it. It's just the salmon and a bunch of fresh green beans cooked with garlic and nonstick butter spray.


I've also been working my ass off with my trainer. I really love every second of working out with her. I work out with her on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then on Fridays I meet up with a friend at the gym and I usually get one more day in on my own. I average about 4 days a week working out. Last Thursday my trainer decided to box with me and I LOVED it! There's definitely something very empowering about boxing. My arms were looking really toned afterward, so after I showered I had to take a picture. ;-)


I worked out with my trainer today as well and I have one more session and then I'm on my own. I'm really happy I did the training sessions, but it's not something I can afford to do over the long run. I've definitely gained a lot of strength and learned some new exercises that I'll use. I really need to kick my cardio into high gear. I think if I do that and really focus on my eating I'll start to see some major progress. The last two weeks I haven't done as much cardio as I should be doing. My trainer said I have "skinny girl limbs" - gotta love that - and that if I really focus on cardio while maintaining my strength training workouts I'll really start to see more changes in my midsection, which is where I carry all of my weight. I know I haven't been doing enough cardio and she definitely confirmed that I should be putting more work into that. With the weather warming up I'm looking forward to bike rides and walking my dogs and hikes and all of the fun warm weather things that I haven't been able to do for such a long time. But not far off is bathing suit weather and I really want to get closer to my goal weight before it gets here. It would mean so much to me to feel confident in a bathing suit and just in clothes in general. I've done a lot and made so much progress, but I'm capable of so much more if I just focus.

Also, I've discussed with my trainer eating vegetarian two days a week. This will definitely be a challenge for me, since I'm a very meat focused eater. It helps to branch out and try new things and I know this would be a very healthy thing for me to do. I started by making a list of possible breakfast, lunches, dinners and snacks. I looked online for meal recipes and I also looked to some of the blogs I read for people that are vegetarian/vegan for ideas. It's very doable if I just think outside of the box of what is "normal" for me. I love fruits and vegetables, so that's not the issue, I just need to plan ahead.

Anyway, that's an update on what's going on with me. I will be posting my weigh-in again on Friday, good, bad or ugly. Also, on Thursday my trainer's going to weigh me in and do a body fat test to compare where I'm at versus where I was when I started with her. It's been approximately 4 weeks, so I'm interested to see if my body fat has gone down. We shall see!

***I just wanted to add this picture of me I took after I posted this. I did lots of shoulder work with my trainer today. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment